Sunday 4 August 2013

Give it up!, by Franz Kafka and Peter Kuper


Franz Kafka
 Give It Up!

It was very early in the morning, the streets were clean and empty as I journeyed to the train station. As I synchronised my watch with a clock tower I saw that it was already later than I had thought, I must make haste, the shock of this discovery left me unsure of the way, I did not know this city so well, luckily there was a watchman nearby, I walked up to him and breathlessly asked him the way. He smiled and said: "You want to hear the way from me?". "Yes", I said, "as I can not find it myself." "Give it up, give it up", he said and he swung around with the momentum of someone who wanted to be alone with his laughter. 
 



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a funny and deep little story!
The black and white artwork is also
impressive.
elastigirl

aris.cs said...

I'm glad you liked it! Kafka's short stories are relatively less known, but they are just as important as his novels. And Peter Cuper is offering a great visual interpretation - his best work in my opinion.

There's more coming up on the subject - until then, I'm suggesting Deleuze and Guattari's
"Kafka: Toward a minor literature" - excerpts are avalable here:

http://www.englweb.umd.edu/englfac/KChuh/D%26G.pdf